Next: Tumor in the caecum
Up: Operations with the intent
Previous: Surgical principles of colectomy
These may be summarised thus;
- Good blood supply; Ensure that both ends of the bowel that
are being used for anastamosis have a good blood supply.
- No tension; The ends joined together must not be under
- No distal obstruction; There must be no distal obstruction.
- Stapled or Hand sewn provided done well.
- Healthy tissues; The area where the anastamosis is formed
should be healthy, it is not a good idea to put the anastamosis in
an abscess cavity etc. The patient must in in reasonable shape and
nutrition, without jaundice, Zn and Vitamin C deficiency.
Adrian P. Ireland