Next: Cheyne, John (1777-1836)
Up: Famous people
Previous: Celsus, Aurelius C. (77
Charcot, the father of neurology,
celebrated on a French stamp issued in 1960
Born Paris 1825.
Worked in the Hôpital Salpêtrière, Paris.
Notable students of Charcot included, Binet and Freud.
- worked on hysteria
- described the knee joint in neuro arthropathy.
- description of Charcot foot in patients with Tabes
- Charcot's joints
- Painless flail joints often with an effusion
- Ankle joint
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Shoulder joint
- Charcot's hysterical blue oedema
- A limb left dependent and not
used becomes swollen and blue.
Adrian P. Ireland