Up: Colorectal cancer
Previous: Anatomical location
- Heridatory cancer syndromes
- Chronic inflammation, in particular chronic ulcerative colitis
(more than 10 years of pan-colitis).
- Previous gastrectomy, vagotomy (about 2 fold increase)
- Previous uretero-sigmoidostomy, (favoured operation now is ileal
- Previous cholecystectomy, controversial (probably not)
Lack of roughage in the diet is thought to be a predisposing cause, this
observation was originally made by Burkitt. Epidemiological studies in the
western world have shown a lower rate of colo-rectal cancer in those
people that eat broccili.
Adrian P. Ireland